Sunday, November 22, 2015

You Too, Brutus?



My best friend, from Mumbai, called up. He was sounding worried and said,' Abhi, why haven't you phoned me for last few weeks?' I had no answer!

Then I realized, I was so busy with my virtual life friends on FB and WhatsApp that I forgot how important is a real life friend, who understands me and cares for me despite all my shortcomings and always remembers me.

A friend, good friend, is a friend in all seasons and never exposes our weaknesses before an audience but protect us fiercely against destiny's torture.

He, who doesn't do it, is a weak person because he prefers to swim along with the rest than honoring the commitment to protect his friend against all odds - -or, he simply doesn't consider himself to be a friend at all.

In a worst case scenario, the tragedy, however, is, that, that the victim comes to know about this epic betrayal only at the last moment that whom he considers to be a good friend doesn't think along the same line.

He, the victim, then, is left with no option but to amusingly exclaims: 'Et tu, Brute?' Meaning, 'You, too, Brutus?'

Brutus, smiling menacingly, without mercy, lifts the sword and push it through the heart of the victim.


It hurts, it hurts too much, when someone you trust so much screws you perfectly....without mercy. Just because, logical life lessons have taught him to be practical....."NEVER SWIM AGAINST THE TIDE! Sense the undercurrent, and react according!" Emotion, for him, is an act of foolishness.

I don't say all friends are like that, because there are a few like my friend from Mumbai, but we must be careful while choosing our friends to avoid being betrayed at the time when we desperately need their emotional support.