Monday, January 18, 2010

Are You Getting the Right Seat on the Right Bus?

Are You Getting the Right Seat in the Right Bus



According to management guru and best selling author Jim Collins, the most important question entrepreneurs need to ask themselves is, " who is on the bus?' Bus is the company.

So it's very important for the owners to know if they've got the right people on the bus, and I think this question needs to be extended a bit to, " are you getting those right people in the right seat?"

Some of the organizations I've been dealing with for hiring miss out on this point; they're extremely cautious during interviewing, and somewhat clueless thereafter -- my personal opinion.

And that eventually leads to a stress-full situation for the candidate - struggling to realign according to the needs - failing to meet the expectations of the management for no faults of theirs.

I've witnessed a few incidents in my executive search career when high profile candidates - recruited by me for reputed clients - reverted to me with piled up frustrations.

Several attempts to thrash out the differences were met with a silence; recruiters reach is up to the boarding platform of the bus, and beyond -- no entry. However, candidates neither realize nor accept this argument; ultimately holding recruiters responsible for the mess.

I understand and agree: Assessing why employees are  not up to par is an internal matter of the organization, so is the required corrective action. But what's the harm in getting some opinion from the concerned search firm, which wouldn't be that useless, I believe? 

I think leadership must look into this issue seriously and work-out a result-oriented strategy to ensure perfect synchronization of employees' expertize and organizational expectations, and candidates should do their best to find out details of the proposed offer -- before closing the deal.

Talent hiring is not about getting the best available candidates only, but putting them in the right place - seat - also!

Do you agree with me on this issue ?

Image Source    Join Our Group "Leadership And Networking" On LinkedIn





No comments: