Monday, November 14, 2011

Loss of Confidence: The Story of Relationship Fallout!

Recently I lost a decade old client to my competitors and, at the same time, experienced a relationship fallout with an otherwise good connection on social media. Why that happened is a million dollar question but, I'm sure, it keeps happening with most of us.

One was in professional front and the other in personal life, but the contributing factors could be same in both the cases. Much have been written about relationship fallout and I don't want repeat those points again, but I've done some introspection to find out where did I gone wrong and sharing my observations with you.

One of the most important reasons could be: Loss of confidence.

Most of the successful associations, both professional and personal, are primarily fueled by a continuous flow of mutual trust and confidence. Things go wrong, only when this confidence factor experiences a downfall for some reasons.

Life is very complex like a spider web and full of puzzles that keep revolving around us on daily basis. Despite our best efforts, some of them remained unsolved for a long time and negatively influence our external behavior and quality of action as well.

Affecting our efficiency those unsolved issues bring down our performance in real life, ultimately leading towards erosion of confidence that others have in us. Neither we can clearly explain the reasons behind such deterioration to our associates, nor all of them are bothered about it. Gradually, confidence level reaches the point of no return and concerned associate silently backs out of the relationship.

However, I must say, most of us are invariably blessed with a few connections who demonstrate remarkable maturity in terms of understanding our situation and never hesitate to give us another chance. The wiser people make the best use of this opportunity and change the tide in favor. But a few, fail to read the writing on wall and pay the price.

I think, same must have happened in my case as far as losing the old client is concerned. Somewhere, I might have failed to deliver according to his expectations, shattering his confidence in me, forcing him to retreat and look out for someone who could deliver better. May be he had indicated his displeasure also, but I failed to notice them. However, he never clearly pointed it out to me and suddenly disappeared from my radar. And that really pains!

Well, if you are on the other side of the table and watching someone who had earlier lived up to your confidence but failing to deliver now, don't erase him completely out of your life -- rather talk to him and sort out the issues. If he understands, takes corrective action and makes it up, you have surely done a good deed of saving a relationship which is no less precious than a life.

There are a few more critical factors that equally influence the sustenance and prosperity of human relationship, but I would discuss them some other time.

No comments: