Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Stop Knocking at the Wrong Doors



It is better to close a few extra doors - I mean options - in life, and in time: Claims the finding of a scientific investigation. A write up, detailing out the observation, was forwarded to me by a friend today morning, reminding me about my own experience in that regard.

It happened when Lehman Brothers collapsed on 15th Sept 2008, triggering off a global recession. Although India wasn't affected to that extent; however, a subsequent knee-jerk reaction by Indian Industry brought my business to a grinding halt which had been experiencing an exponential growth for several years up until then.

Being heavily dependent on a few highly rewarding clients, my cash flow almost dried up when they enforced a complete ban on external hiring.

Coinciding with the same, I begun my journey as a blogger and, over a period of time, got so much obsessed with it that instead of bringing my business back on track I focused more on Blogging.

I continued knocking at the wrong door with a never fulfilled hope of making money from what I discovered as my true passion. And in that process, I ignored the other doors which had been consistently rewarding me for several years.

Despite an ever shrinking business since then, and blogging proving to be a financial disaster with no return on time invested, I, failing to assess the gravity of the situation, went on blogging for almost 16 hours a day.

Sleeping for less than 4 hours a day, obviously I fell sick. With a deteriorating health, devastated business and passion for blogging that was providing no monetary benefit, messing up of life was complete.

Thank God, I could realize my mistake before it was too late, and practically realigned my career priorities since then; however, this article, published on 'The New York Times,' is a great reminder to own experience of the consequence of -- knocking at the wrong door for a long time.

Image: Salvatore Vuono / FreeDigitalPhotos.net