Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cloud Computing: Online Data Storage Makes your Life Little Easier




8 years ago I started subscribing to a paid online data storage system called ibackup for managing my office documents, and continued using it for more than 5 years up until the end of 2008.

It was a wonderful experience of completely bypassing hard-drive system with all data on the cloud: Cloud Computing, that I could access round the clock from my laptop, desktop and even from my blackberry -- and for that matter, any internet enabled gadget.

Well, with my credit card getting jammed due to the impact of recession, I had to switch over to a free system and that's how I discovered Dropbox -- which I'm still using, and successfully.

If you haven't yet tried one, then you're really missing the fun. Although there a few dozens of applications currently available, the ones mentioned in the following article on Open Forum are worth an attempt.

"Backing up data is a hassle. Rather than purchase an external hard drive, you can manage your backups via the Web. These eight services are worth considering if you worry about the security and protection of your data.

Most of these tools offers mobile-device access so your iPhone or Android-powered device can connect and access these documents. Another great feature offered by online backup services is a version service, which shows you iterations of your documents or folders allowing you an easy way to restore a file to a previous version."

Personally I'd recommend Dropbox, but no harm in testing the rest.

Image: Tech&Net

No comments: