Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Is Equal Treatment, So difficult?

She hit my car in the parking lot and, without bothering to look behind, sped away with a clean conscience. When my driver informed her husband, who was at home, instead of offering an apology he started abusing him with filthy language.

This happened at around 7-30 in the morning and, being a late riser, I was not aware of this development until my wife, who was already on her way to the office, called me and explained. The very next moment I got a call from my driver, saying that hitter's husband had come to inspect the extent of damage.

I rushed out to meet him. He apologized, and agreed to bear the cost of repair. His behavior towards me was in sharp contrast to what he meted out to my driver.

Nothing new, though, it keeps bothering me: why we behave so arrogantly, and disrespectfully, with people belonging to lower strata of the society? Not so surprisingly, most of those people reflect back more respect than their effluent counterparts.

I don't know about the psychology behind, but strictly believe in equal treatment to all -- irrespective of their point of origin.

Let us not differentiate between people on the basis of their social standing, but maturity in dealing with others.

No comments: