Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Volcanic Eruption of Corporate Ego!!!


First of all, let me thank those professional friends from Corporate India, who keep encouraging me to highlight some of the business issues pertaining to talent management.

I'm neither a seasoned writer nor a management expert, but my objective of writing these blogs is to share with my readers -- some of the issues, both in professional and personal domains of life, that truly deserve a brain-storming.

Yesterday, in the evening, while talking to the VP-HR of a multinational company, which has recently undergone a global restructuring, when I, unaware of the final structure, casually made a remark about his reporting matrix, he got extremely annoyed and told me to avoid making such statements without knowing the facts.

When my repeated attempt to pacify him failed to produce visible results, I was left with no other options but say sorry and good night to him. It surely was a painful experience of watching helpless, an immature and explosive demonstration of what is infamously known as Corporate Ego.

With the internal structure of the new entity was not yet made public, if I, by mistake, had made a wrong statement, based on some assumptions, wouldn't the best way to handling it been to correct me -- instead of going completely out of control ?

Also, what hurt me most, was, that, we know each other for more than a decade by now.

Although I could immediately recover from that shock; thanks to my life learnings, but, next thing I did was to make the framework of this article. You know why? Because, it's a major issue that deserves genuine attention.

Frankly speaking, I'm really surprised: What make people dump their social intelligence skills, and so easily, especially the top corporate leadership?

One contributing factor could be the pressure that they are being continuously subjected to, for delivering the best results. But, even then, while holding senior level positions, when they are looked upon as role models by so many down the line, isn't such behavior from them likely to spark off a demotivating culture in the organization?

Another factor could be the influence of an inflated ego, which is being continuously fueled by an illusion of being the most important personality in the corporate ocean.

Whatever it is, the fact that clearly emerges, is that, some of the senior-most professionals - who are currently holding key assignments in the Corporate World - don't possess true leadership qualities that their employers expect them to demonstrate for driving their organizations scale the summit of success.

My suggestion to those sleeping and active volcanoes of the corporate world: Never forget that every  relationship is precious, including professional associations.

Most of the successful leaders I know practice this wisdom and, that's why and how, they keep moving ahead of others in both professional and personal domains of life.

The objective of this blog is very simple: Someone has to point it out, how this corporate world is no better than the jungle of cruel dominance, where, to prosper, what matters most is one's ability to learning the art and science of  surviving against the dominance of ruthless power-brokers.

Join Our Group "Leadership And Networking On LinkedIn