Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Why You Must Look Back, for A While, When Moving Forward



Shifting office is no less exciting than relocating to a new house. A new environment, new neighbours and a new hope for a better future.

Yes, that's what I'm going through now: Shifting office to a better place with higher capacity. Because, business is growing for the first time in last 2/3 years and I need more people to handle that additional work-load.

Well, struggling through a rough patch - impact of global financial crisis - that I believe will end with this relocation, I learned the following lessons:

1.Confidence is a must for attaining sustainable success but over-confidence destroys whatever we have in hand. Riding the waves of a huge success, I never bothered to have a contingency plan in place as my overconfidence didn't allow me think about it.

2.Living in the present is the best solution to lead a happy life but looking back and learning from the past mistakes lay the foundation for a formidable future. So, when I look back and try to identify what had gone wrong - that brought me into the current situation - I never consider it as wastage of time.

3. Regretting excessively over past mistakes destroys our abilities to plan out a better future. Well, it's difficult not regret over those silly mistakes but I always try to dump them once the assessment is over. I do regret, but never make it a habit.

So, be confident, look back to extract the best lessons out of the worst you did and, regret but constructively. I'm sure, you will make things happen in future.

Image: Massimo Valiani on Flickr

No comments: