Monday, March 21, 2011

Is Success Inversely Proportional to Arrogance?



Recently, while replying to my regular business queries, one of the clients, a senior HR professional, suddenly lost control over his temper and what followed next was perhaps one of the worst conversation I had in recent time -- it was one sided though, because I kept quite except repeatedly saying sorry to him.

Image, reputation, and most importantly his leadership qualities; everything that made a huge impact until then -- hit the dustbin in no time!

Well, earlier I used to react and in some cases had the courage to blacklist the clients even, but not any more; not because I've developed a better business sense but, due to an added layer of maturity.

Experience, and also little bit of knowledge that I've gathered from my interactions with global knowledge leaders - thanks, linkedin - has taught me to be tolerant, and remain a true professional even in an otherwise compelling situation.

However, what's been puzzling me, is the fact: When our leaders, themselves, are not in control over their emotional health, what sort of energy they're likely to radiate to the surroundings -- to all, who matter to them and to their organizations as well.

I think, aspiring candidates for full-fledged leadership role should never forget that despite an ever-increasing workplace pressure, they must retain control over their own emotional outbursts in all situations -- before putting into action, a serious claim for the coveted position!.

My leadership tip to them is very simple: Always remember that the quantum of success is inversely proportional to the degree of arrogance.

Join Our Group "Leadership And Networking On LinkedIn

Image credit: rhome_music on flickr. All rights reserved

1 comment:

Perception said...

They can probably learn from the likes of Sachin, Amitabh. they are humble and as successful as possible in their respective fields..
http://totalgadha.com/tgtown/jaaliengineer/