Monday, October 3, 2011

A Leadership Lesson, I Learned 25 Years Ago!

The first lesson that my boss taught me, when I started my career two and half a decade ago, was to learn as much as possible about the routine jobs that people reporting to me were supposed to perform. What he was talking about is not the expertise, but the basic knowledge.

As the technology was still in nascent stage for that industry, it was more about individual skills at all level to maximize the production with minimum break-down.

His insistence made me work for more than 16 hours a day, for several years, learning about every technical skills essential to keep the factory running 24/7, never allowing any of my team members to make a fool out of me.

In fact, his teachings have been playing a crucial role ever since I started the journey of entrepreneurship more than a decade ago: Helping me build the company from scratch, thrice so far!

What he taught me so long ago, is perhaps one the most important requirements of effective leadership today: Leaders, apart from being conversant with human behavioral aspects, must have the basic knowledge of all functional requirements falling within his span of control.

Because effective leadership is not just about managing people through behavioral interventions, but also about having a layer of all functional knowledge: Both technical and non-technical.

No comments: