Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Do Mobile Phones Cause Brain Damage ?

During a summer holiday trip to my native place, a year ago, a medical representative turned up to demonstrate the extent of damage mobile phone causes to our brain.

It was not an exciting topic during a hard earned holiday - which happens once in a year with great difficulties - but, out of courtesy I allowed him to continue with a specific request to finish it quickly.

His preliminary lecture was quite scary: Explaining in details how electromagnetic radiations - microwave - emitted from cell-phone virtually fries our brain

But, when he insisted on demonstrating actual frying process with the help a egg placed in a glass filled with water and a cell phone kept near it in working condition, I couldn't bear it any more and very politely asked him to leave us alone.

Well, I didn't want to spoil my holiday but at the same time this incident cast some doubt in my mind and a detailed study followed later. Surprisingly, I couldn't find any investigation report with conclusive scientific evidence that mobile phone poses any health threat, although a few were strongly suggestive in nature -- in favor.

On the other hand, some of the investigation results I found on internet were contradicting the above mentioned claims. Confused with claims and counter-claims, I left it there  and re-captured my holiday mood.

After a long time, I recollected that incident while noticing  the findings of a new Scandinavian study indicating that cell-phone usage don't lead to an increased risk of brain cancer.

It was an encouraging news for me, because cellphone is an integral part of my life now and it's really difficult to manage things without it.

3 comments:

sudden memory loss said...

Well it is proven that electromagnetic can affect your brain, so of course cell phones in some level are going to affect the human body.

Abhijit Kar said...

Thanks again, SML
We know that but how many of us are seriously about it? Most of my corporate friends are on their cell for more than 4/5 hours day. I'm really worried about it.

neurology emr said...

Thanks for the information,but some studies have shown a link between cellphones and increased risk of brain cancer.We should still aware about that.