Saturday, November 13, 2010

Can We Really Bury Our Expectation for A Reciprocation ?



Long ago, someone approached me through a corporate connection, saying, he was without a job and desperately looking for a break in corporate India.

His story of struggle made such an impact on my emotional ecosystem that I went out of the way to place him in an organization, free-of-charge, in that process incurring a huge loss of few hundred thousand.

Nothing prevailed over my value system except one objective: Fix his life path. Frankly speaking, I didn't do it with an expectation that when time comes he would return my favor, because I never thought that I could ever be in a similar situation.

He got the assignment and I felt happy, as if I've done a great job. Yes, there was a sense of accomplishment. Well, friends did remind me to use my brain more, than heart, while carrying out business deals.

A decade later, when I needed some help that he could have easily extended by virtue of his current stature, a call and subsequent discussion was followed by a stunning silence from him.

Was I wrong in my expectation from him, or that's how the world keeps revolving?

It's not an unusual story, with most of us having gone through similar situations in life at some point of time, but the question is: Can we really bury our expectations for a reciprocation, practically?

Image credit

No comments: