Sunday, April 15, 2012

An Amazing Story of Leadership Connectivity


If you're not able to connect with key people in your professional circle, emotionally, I don't think you would ever make it happen as a leader. And that's exactly what I just discussed over phone with HR Head of a large Indian corporate -- and he agreed.

By connectivity, I mean, building emotional connection with professionals in your domain of operation: Team members, Suppliers, Service Providers, and keep them sufficiently motivated to maintain and improve upon their current performance level.

Unfortunately, very few leaders take it seriously and, without realizing what's going wrong, they keep descending down the performance ladder and vanish from the corporate world over a period of time.  

How successful emotional connectivity fuels leadership performance:

A decade ago, the CEO of a company, who was in the process of closing down Indian operations in line with a global re-orientation, hired me for helping his employees find out another job.

On his request, I attended the meeting where he broke the news out. Expecting his people going through a huge psychological pressure in the aftermath, he told me to counsel them one by one.

Well, I did it, but what puzzled me was their reactions: Instead of grieving over a sudden uncertainty hovering around their career, they're more concerned about losing the opportunity to work with their CEO.

Through my close interactions with them I could make out that they adored him like a heavenly figure.

He was emotionally connected to his team members, to such an extent, that the news of separation - not from the company, but from him - made them suffocate beyond control.

The CEO I'm taking about is now a successful entrepreneur heading a group of companies worth more than half-a-billion dollar. No doubt, it's not destiny but his people management skill that could take him to a great height of career success.

So introspect and assess the depth of connectivity you have with those team members who're contributing to your professional success and, if required, act fast to make it up!

Image: Salvatore Vuono / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments: