Friday, September 16, 2011

How Passion Almost Killed My Entrepreneurial Dream!

An entrepreneur, running a business which is based on what he loves to do, may have to decide at some point of time -- whether he would continue doing what he is passionate about, or focus more on business expansion.

It had happened with me a few years ago: Conflict between pursuing what I was passionate about and the possibility of a huge a business growth - where passion won over the urge to make more money - eventually brought me back to the point where I started my journey a decade ago.

Don't you like to know, what was that passion?

My passion was to deliver world class executive search service to a limited number of high profile corporate clients, investing more than justified man-hours to ensure customers' delight, for earning the reputation of being "different from the lot."

It wouldn't have been achieved without my deep involvement in every activities performed by team members.

I went mad after maintaining a quality of service that not was not at all proportionate to the fees paid by my clients, and failed to strike a balance between efforts and rewards: Basic ingredient of a successful business.

Focusing too much on continuously improving quality, I failed to capitalize on a already developed brand equity by expanding my business horizon. And when recession struck in 2008, being too small the business almost collapsed.

Good that I have realized my mistake of sticking to the passion at the cost of business growth - before it was too late - and now taking every step to reach an intersection of passion and financial independence.

I am sure, lot of entrepreneurs commit the same mistake of being too passionate about what they love to do, forgetting the fact that beyond a certain point, for ensuring and sustaining business growth, they have no option but to focus more on efficiently running their organization!

No comments: