Tuesday, January 10, 2012

3 Lessons I Learned from My Leaders

I'm an average person from any angle, and I like it. However, I had the opportunity to work with a few great leaders during my 14 years of Corporate stint: Bajaj Auto Ltd, Vedanta etc.

And, being a natural follower, it was easier for me to learn a few lessons from them - while observing their actions - without prejudice.

The lessons are:

1. Job Knowledge: For successfully leading a team, the leaders must learn to execute all the activities performed by their team members.

It has dual advantage: The team members would respect their leaders for knowledge-base and the bad elements in team - every team has a few - would never be able to fool their leaders.

2. Time Management: Time and tide wait for none is perhaps the most uttered piece of advice by seniors, but a very few take it seriously.

However, leaders' ability to improve productivity through efficient time management, not only for self but for their team members as well, makes them naturally acceptable by their followers.

3. Emotional Connectivity: Performance is not a left brain controlled activity but, mostly done by the right one.

Hence, nothing but emotional connectivity can inspire even the most average person for achieving much better results than his normal capacity.

Since the performance of humans is greatly influenced by their emotional state of affairs, the leaders, who are able to build an emotional connection with their followers, can inspire them to a great extent.

As a follower, I think I would perform much better under a leader who, possessing these 3 qualities, can inspire me to unleash my hidden strengths.

What's your take on this issue. Would you like to share your experience of working with a few great leaders?

No comments: