Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Body Language Interpretation: Key to Success!


Today, I, along with one my partners from a company that we had floated last week, made a presentation to the Director HR of a large Indian Corporate for clinching a lucrative business deal against huge competitions from global MNCs.

My partner, a young and renowned HR professional, who had worked with a host of MNCs before quitting the job, has always been to the other side of the table: listening to business presentations.

During the meeting, when, after launching initial dialogues, I handed the game over to him, he, being a methodical and knowledgeable professional, started delivering a detailed speech to the HR director highlighting even the minutest details.

In less than a couple of minutes, I could sense that the HR Director was getting little impatient - may be bored - while hearing to my partner's detailed lecture about how we fare better than our competitors. So, getting slightly worried, I had no option but to intervene and switched the topic over in such a way that it gave the director to react comfortably.

I could very well sense my partner's uneasiness for an uncalled for intervention. However, that timely intervention, ultimately led to winning a lucrative contract from the prospect.

Let me tell you, how I could sense that I must intervene:

It's the body language of the prospect, the HR Director, indicating that he had almost lost interest in whatever my partner was telling him. It could be for various reasons, but, the indications were clear, and I could read them clearly because of my previous experience.

Later, I apologized to my partner, explaining the reason for cutting him short in the middle of his presentation. And he, being a highly matured person, understood it well and appreciated my efforts.

So, the point is, while talking to another person, it's extremely important to read his body language and understand if he is still interested in listening to whatever you're delivering to him. If not, take a break against your wishes and allow him to take control over the course of discussion.

This is relevant, especially during business meetings when you are making a presentation to a prospective client.

Because, success, for converting a business presentation into a confirmed deal, depends more on your ability to handling your prospect' 'psychologically, than marketing your competence -- if you meet the minimum criteria.

The same principle, perhaps, applies to our personal life also.

So, be alert and correctly read the other persons' body language,' if you wish to remain one of the most preferred friends of his.

Business presentation or personal discussion, the successful transactions depends more on correctly analyzing the body language of the other involved party and taking appropriate corrective action in time.

When you master the art of interpreting the body language, correctly, knowing when to stop talking and let the other person take over, you're a step closer to win over his heart than mind.

And, who doesn't know, that the intensity of success is mainly governed by the right brain than left: yours, or someone Else's!

No comments: